The University of North Texas, College of Information Discovery Series hosts prominent and impactful speakers from industry, academia, and nonprofits to stimulate the exchange of ideas at the intersection of information science, linguistics, and learning technologies. The Discovery Series lectures are all recorded and made available afterward through this website and the COI YouTube channel.
- Please contact the Dean’s Office at CI-Dean@unt.edu with suggestions for topics and or speakers.
- Are you interested in hosting a Discovery Series speaker? Please fill out the marketing form to begin planning with the Dean’s Office team.
- 10-29-2019 - Umarani Pappuswamy, Fakhruddin Akhunzada, Ramesh Gaur [Three lectures on archiving in South Asia]
- 9/9/2019 - Daryl Baldwin [Use of archived data to revive and teach his heritage language]
- 4/27/2019 - Susan Gehr [I'll Do It Myself And Other Strategies in Karuk Language Documentation and Revitalization]
- 4/18/2019 - Shrabani Basu [Imperial Legacies of 1919]
- 1/30/2019 - Ray Schroeder [Artificial Intelligence, The Workforce, and the Future of Higher Education]
- 11/6/2018 - Nigel Thurlow [Toyota Connected, Toyota Productio System, Agile and Lean in the workplace, and research in the team science]
- 4/16/2018 - Wilhem Meya [Revitalizing Native American Languages]
- 2/1/2018 - Ryan Baker [Towards Massive Replication of Scientific Findings in Massive Online Open Courses]
- 11/16/2017 - Helen Aristar-Dry & Gary Simons [Exposition: Metadata & Interoperable Digital Language Databases]
- 10/19/2017 - Walt Wolfram [Documentary and Exposition: “Talking Black in America”]
- 10/5/2017 - Mohamed Jemni [Exposition: Assistive Technologies]
- 9/21/2017 - Nian-Shing Chen [Exposition: Gesture-based & Game-based Learning]
- 5/4/2017 - Brian O'Connor [Exposition: Know Thy Selfie: Provocations on Digital Photography & Public Knowledge]
- 4/13/2017 - Michelle Yang [Workshop: The Art of Visual Notetaking]
- 3/30/2017 - Júlia Marques Carvalho da Silva [Exposition: Smart Teaching Assistants: Helping Teachers to Help Students]
- 3/3/2017 - Berner Lindström [Round Table Discussion: Digitalization of Education in Scandinavia]
- 2/23/2017 - Robin James Mayes [Exposition: Preventing Plagiarism]
- 1/26/2017 - Miguel Nussbaum [Exposition: How far are we from teaching creatively?]
- 12/15/2016 - Rory McGreal, UNESCO Chair in Open Educational Resources [Exposition: Open Education Resources and the Future of Education]